Indi Blogger

Thursday, October 23, 2014

I am back!

Back after a considerably long gap. In the time that I was away I attended three B-School interviews, at IIM B, IIM C and ISB and got rejected by all three. Then with nothing much left to do and buggered by the daily drudgery of office work, I took to running. And then got addicted to it. As of today I have completed 7 Half Marathons and one 10 km race, with my best official timing in half marathon being 2 hrs and 31 minutes and best unofficial timing in the 10 km being an hour and 3 minutes. The aim is to get the time in half marathon down to 2:15 first and then under 2 hours but before that I have a full distance coming up this December at The Wipro Chennai Marathon, preparation for which is in full swing.

Being in the field of IT starts taking a toll on you after a few years, and in the absence of any activity that can help one get their mind off the regular drudgery, life can be quite irritating and depressing at times. Staying on the road running and meeting people from all walks of life has helped bring a different perspective on life, thankfully. While I was frustrated after the end of the B-School rejections and eager to have a crack at GMAT again and reapply, the time off has allowed me to take a step back and re-evaluate my options. Although reapplication still remains an open option, I no longer feel the need to rus up things. The road to running has also led me on a path to self discovery and right now I am finding it exhilarating to say the least. As I look back at the interviews the only one I seem to remember at any length is the IIM C interview, and that too because I happened to meet a stellar Prof who asked really pertinent questions in the interview rather than the usual stuff. IIM B was really a joke with the panel trying to put me under stress, which did not amuse me at all. Working for 9+ years in IT, catering to stiff clients from the UK and US has its own share of stress and nothing in a classroom or a B-School interview can simulate the same kind of stress. ISB was thorougly average and I am not so keen in applying to the same program again, while exploring other programs later on remains an option.

But for now, all roads lead to my next event on December which I am really eager to finish strong. Long term wish is to participate in a minimum of 200 events worldwide. I recollect a remark made to a friend the other day - I wish to die at the age of 90, at the end of an ultra marathon, medal clutched in my hand and a blissful smile on my face. Nothing else matters.

Ciao!  

No comments:

Post a Comment